September 28, 2021
Gurudev Sri Sri Ravi Shankar was the Chief Guest for a panel discussion with a delegation of doctors hosted by The Research Society for the Study of Diabetes in India (RSSDI).
Some of the points discussed by the panel include:
- galvanizing support from all sections of societies towards educating people about diabetes
- testing the public to keep a close monitor on the incidence of diabetes in all genders, age groups, and its effect on different organs as well
- catching the disease early
- using multiple measurements to determine if someone is diabetic, and
- keeping a control of blood glucose in diabetic as well as non-diabetic patients
Gurudev added, “Type-2 diabetes can be corrected by lifestyle. So, a little change in diet, understanding, and community welfare activities, would push the health index of our country to newer heights. Let us all make this happen more often in all parts of the country and make our country free from diabetes!”
Earlier in the month, Gurudev had inaugurated the Defeat Diabetes Campaign that aims to conduct 1 million diabetes tests across 10,000 sites all over India on September 29, 2021, World Heart Day in its ‘One Day One Million Tests’ initiative. This campaign’s larger objective was to reach 100 million people in 100 days (they surpassed it with 130-140 million tests!) with a mission to increase awareness on diabetes and a vision to Test Track and Treat Diabetes. It has the active support of The Art of Living and Rotary Club among other entities.
Diabetes is a global problem and a holistic approach is very important to address the burden of the condition. Stress also contributes to rise in blood sugar by increasing the secretion of stress hormones like cortisol. Meditation and breathing techniques like the Sudarshan Kriya can help in reducing stress.